Pages

Wednesday 1 August 2012

Review- Temptation by Karen Ann Hopkins.


Temptation by Karen Ann Hopkins

  • Paperback: 380 pages
  • Publisher: Harlequin Teen; Original edition (26 Jun 2012)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 037321054X
  • ISBN-13: 978-0373210541

Firstly, kind thanks to the publishers, for granting me the permission to review this book via Netgalley, for no charge, for an honest review.  This book was read on my kindle.

Book Description
Your heart misleads you.  That's what my friends and family say.  But I love Noah. And he loves me.  We met and fell in love in the sleepy farming community of Meadowview, while we rode our horses together through the grassy fields and in those moments in each other's arms. It should be  ROSE & NOAH forever, easy. But it won't be. Because he's Amish. And I'm not.
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
My Review.

Firstly, many thanks to the publishers for granting me access to review this book, for which it was kindly received via Netgalley. This was read on my Kindle.  When i saw the cover i was instantly drawn in because i thought it looked quite 'dreamy' and i loved how the sun shone onto the couple who were in a close embrace.  Obviously i knew it was a love story from that and I'm a sucker for a bit of romance.  Then with the title and the brief sentence on the front i realised it was about forbidden love- which i love even more than just 'love stories' and romance.  I knew i wanted to read it before i had even had read the 'blurb', after reading that it just cemented that i had to read it.  There is so many forbidden love stories out there but this was different, i have never read a love story where there was an Amish and Non-Amish couple, and actually i have never read a book which has featured the Amish community.  This made it more interesting for me because i know about the community (this community is also referred too as a culture, religious group, cult and even an anti-feminist group) and have watched documentaries, but to feature in a novel was different for me. 

Now i had no expectations for this book at all, i did think i would like it and enjoy it. However, this book was one that threw me a little and i have waited 2 weeks post-reading to write this review because i couldn't articulate my feelings or what i wanted to say here. I didn't know how i would even rate it or if i would write a review without a rating.  This book is the first book which i have loved but hated at the same time, and i don't think i can even explain my reasoning completely without giving spoilers!  It is one of those books whereby you need to read it yourself and i do recommend that people read this BUT stick with it. I did almost give up with the first third of the book but i just had to keep reading. and i did get used to what was irritating me.

The basis of the plot is that Rose and her family move into the house next door to Noah's family following the death of her mother and her dad (a doctor) getting a new job in the area.  Rose (Non-Amish) and Noah (Amish) meet quickly and the focus is on them and their 'relationship'. To be honest, I am not too sure there is anymore plot than just the desire they have to be together.  It has romance at the heart of book and does have other aspects such as the relationships they each have with their family and the dynamics of each family-the Amish one was of interest for me  and i found it fascinating to read about! But in regard to plot, there was little of one as i said just before.  It didn't taken the shine off the book for me though because watching the relationship develop was a compelling journey to be taken on full of raw emotion.  It doesn't seem like the couple will ever be able to be together given the difference in their cultures and the aversion of the Non-Amish from the Amish.  The ending is interesting and yet some what annoying.  This book works well as a stand-alone book, which I thought it was, but it will actually be a series.  I cannot wait to see what happens next and I am excited for the next book! This says a lot about my feelings for this book really.

This book is well-written by Hopkins, beautifully descriptive and i loved her writing style.  She is able to evoke feelings in the reader, which isn't an easy thing to do.  For me I found it slow paced for the first three quarters of the book, but after a very significant event it vastly improved.  This significant event was quite shocking really and  featured 'something' that brought tears to my eyes.  The story is written in first person perspective but a dual one, as it is told by both Noah and Rose.  This is my favourite kind of style for a novel because you find out different viewpoints of a situation and there is some overlapping of time between the 2 perspectives.  In this book, this works perfectly because we get to know what both of them are thinking, their feelings towards the other and their understanding of each others culture.  Not only that but you get an inside view of what they expect from the other and from the relationship, some of it is quite hard hitting and shocking in my view, but then you have to remember they are only teenagers.

So, onto the main characters, Noah and Rose, who are both well written to reflect their community.  Rose is only 16, living with her dad and brothers following the death of her mother.  I liked her, she is sweet, caring, strong willed, thinks for herself, pretty, as well as quite naive and innocent when it comes to love.  Noah is 18, and being Amish this means that he is at an age to take responsibility for a wife and family.  He is a caring and kind towards Rose, family orientated but at the same time, he seems controlling, selfish and does have anti-feminist views.  I know it isn't his fault and these traits are probably due to his upbringing in this community, but still, it frustrated me.  What he said made me really angry and I have to say that I didn't actually like him for most of the book if at all.  These next quotes from his dad show the influence Noah is under being Amish;
"We have become used to not having outsiders living so close by. I am sure it will take some adjusting to."

"English children will want to make friends- which creates a very difficult situation for us." "The father important -don't want to offend him." "But neither will I have my   children spending much time with the English, being influenced and corrupted by  them"  
The words used by Noah and his family to describe Non-Amish and even Rose's family drove me crazy, especially in the beginning, I did get used to them, but wow did they grate on me, it felt like it was racist almost.  The terms used were 'the English' and 'outsiders'.

To demonstrate Noah's controlling ways I have provided such quotes which made me so uncomfortable.  Also on the 'first date' he showed his controlling and argumentative ways, this was towards Rose dancing! Rose actually picked up on the edge to his voice when he used the term "the English". I'm sorry but first date and now matter how much you fancy someone, that sort of behaviour would send you running!  
"I didn't think she'd be receptive to being told what to do directly. I'd have to be subtle about it and make her think she was doing what she wanted" Wow that is scary! How devious is he, that is just mind games!
"I didn't have authority over her.  That really troubled me more than I cared to admit" "take charge of her" 
Aside from that, another aspect that I didn't enjoy, which I know a lot of readers also do not like, is this 'insta-love' as the love story.  Straight away there were comments and references from both of them as being lovestruck, experiencing electric from touching and thoughts of when they are living together.  Even thoughts of having a baby! The wanting, needing, pining that went on, urgh, it got sooooo repetitive and as I said their desire to be together was the plot really.  I have to say that I believe Noah's feelings and thoughts to be more reliable and true due to his age and responsibility, whereas I feel Rose is swept along with the lust and excitement, she seems so young to be on the same wavelength as Noah in regards to a relationship. I had to laugh prior to one of their meet-ups and Rose is getting ready and looking in the mirror, it was such an argh!! moment but so typical of a teenager really
"Turning sideways I was surprised to see how I was filling the shirt out this year.  I certainly didn't remember looking so.......developed in it last year"
 Overall, this book is a lovely read, an emotional exploration of love that is forbidden.  It is sweet and full of want and desire.  There is obstacles and problems throughout it, there are moments when you want to scream and times when you laugh and go awww.  I found this book difficult to review as i said but then I've written an essay so obviously i had lots to say and i enjoyed it more than i originally thought.  I would recommend it to people but i would say that this will be a book you may love and hate at the same time but give it chance.  I will definitely be reading the sequel.  I have to give a rating of 3 out of 5 :)
Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

  1. I won this book on a giveaway. It sounds pretty good, but I may hold off on reading it...mainly because it's an ebook. I love emotional stories though, so I may like it. With love-it or hate-it books I tend to lean towards the love anyway. Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on winning it, even if an ebook, it's fab to win something xx It is an emotional story and given what you have said i think you will love it :) A lot of people have loved it :) and i was both haha xx Maybe wait until the 2nd book is coming out so you can read them back to back and don't have to wait for what is going to happen after the 1st book, i need to know haha, driving me crazy hehe xx

      Delete

Many thanks for your comment, all comments are really appreciated and I will reply :) xx